Beginners Qur’an and Arabic
Arabic is the language of the Qur’an and is also spoken across many Muslim countries. The Beginners Qur’an and Arabic course is for complete beginners who cannot read or understand even basic Arabic. This course will take students through the letters of the Arabic alphabet in their solitary and joints forms, vowels, words and sentences and learn the correct pronunciation of letters and vowel sounds. Subsequently students will build on initial recognition and pronunciation to the formation of words and groups of word and also develop some writing skills. Students will be taught with the recitation of the Qur’an as the main learning outcome and thus correct pronunciation and aspects of Tajweed will also be integrated into the course. The course is ideal for anyone who did not get the opportunity to learn Arabic when young, for new Muslims or for people who just want to re-learn their basic Arabic properly.
Students will be provided with the Qaida Noornanniya and all materials for the course.
Subject Title: Beginners Qur’an and Arabic
Brief description of course:
This course develops the learner’s ability in Arabic phonetics specifically for the purpose of the recitation of the Qur’an and reading Arabic in general. The course is designed to cater for complete beginners who have no previous experience of reading Arabic. Students will learn to recognise the different letters of the alphabet and the correct pronunciation of Arabic letters and vowel sounds. Subsequently the course will build on initial recognition and pronunciation to the formation of words and groups of words. This course will also help towards meeting the entry requirements for our Tajweed Level 1 or our language course subject Module 1: Introduction to Arabic Grammer.
Beginner (Pre Tajweed 1 and Module1 (Arabic))
Preparatory course for students who wish to study Tajweed Module 1 or Module1 (Arabic) but are not able to read or write Arabic .
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Progression: Students who complete this course will be able to progress to Level 1 Tajweed and Qira’ah and/ or level 1 Arabic Language.
Duration of the Course:
32 x 1 hour classes over 17 weeks
Contact time allocated: 32 hours
General Subject Aims:
Studying Beginners Qur’an and Arabic should enable students to:
- Develop the love of reciting the Qur’an
- Recognise and distinguish between the physical shapes of different letters in all of their different forms.
- Pronounce the letters correctly from their origins in the mouth or throat (makharij).
- Begin to develop the ability to use the correct phonetics and accent in the Arabic language when speaking it, or reciting the Qur’an, du’as, adhkar or any other form of reading or recitation;
- Understand and apply the different vowel signs in conjunction with different letters whilst maintaining correct pronunciation.
- Be inspired to recite the Qur’an correctly fluently, and beautifully, and continue studying the Arabic language.
- Be able recognise and pronounce words correctly and develop the ability to read.
There will be formal assessment at the end of the course in the form of a test. The grade will also take attendance into account.
Students will be provided with further practice guidance in order to build on the skills developed in this course and to bridge any gaps or weaknesses remaining so that students can join the next available Tajweed or Arabic course at a higher level.
Add a note